Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Woman at the Well- Part B

 Originally Posted on Jan 18, 2012

*This is a continuation of the original blog (seen below) entitled “Woman at the Well”*
This chapter humbles me in way I can hardly explain. Here was woman hurting, forsaken and ridiculed by those around her, and yet Jesus reaches out and draws her in. He searches her out and touches her heart wanting to heal her wounds.

            This was a woman that I would probably have walked right on by without a thought. A woman that I would have heard gossip about and thought to myself, “Wow, I’m glad that’s not me.” I probably wouldn’t have made an effort to get to know her, let alone notice the hurt inside. Yet Jesus stopped, as the world went on around them, and drew her to himself. Seeking to heal the hurt he could see so clearly in her eyes. Her reputation never stopped him, in fact it probably drew him to her. He was always spending time with the less desirable people in society. He knew they were the most aware of their thirst, of their need for him. What they were and where they had been played no part in how Jesus saw them; he was only concerned with the state of their hearts, just as he is with each one of us.

I sit here with tears in my eyes as I think about this woman alone and hurting and yet I ignore those around me every day who are just like her. I sit in my semi-perfect little world so glad that Jesus offers me the living water every day, never caring if others are finding the same water. How can I sit so complacently by when hearts are bleeding? How can I ignore when people are thirsty and searching? ….. How can I?

I know the following scripture is about Jesus, but is has always touched my heart and I felt that it fit here.
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners.
-Isaiah 61:1

No comments:

Post a Comment