Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Good Gifts From Above



I really do think God sometimes sits in heaven rubbing his hands together in glee when he knows he’s sending something our way that will overwhelm us with joy. Just like us, I bet he can’t wait to see our faces when he grants us the thing we want most; and just like us I imagine he is beyond hurt when we don’t acknowledge were the gift came from.

I love giving gifts to my parents and siblings when I know exactly what they want. Holding onto the gift until I can give it to them is almost unbearable and my excitement knows no bounds when I can finally give it to them. I imagine God is the same way when he gives us gifts. He knows the deepest desires of our hearts and he loves to give us good gifts. Psalm 84:11b says, “No good thing does he withhold from those who walk is blameless.” That doesn’t mean he’ll give us everything we want, because sometimes the thing we think is good isn’t the best for us. Sometimes withholding the good is the best thing for us.

Now imagine giving the best gift ever to someone you love and have them thank someone else for the gift. How would you feel? Awful? Angry? Hurt? I imagine all of those things would run through you, and yet we do it to God so many times. He gives us good gifts and we never stop to acknowledge were it came from or thank the one who gave it.

Recently, I had someone share that she keeps a Prayer Answered journal. She started when she was fourteen and has kept up with it since then. Her idea has inspired me to do the same. I think it’s a wonderful idea to keep a record of all the times God has worked good in our lives.  Although some days I’d probably fill page after page with all the prayers he answers. Things like God healing my car after I prayed over it or giving me more day shifts at work when I asked him for them. Then there are the prayers he answers day after day; like keeping me safe on the roads when I travel home from work late at night or in terrible weather. Or granting me patience at work when I feel I have none left. God is constantly granting my prayers and I’d have to fill a room full of journals to just to keep up with his goodness.

No matter where you’re at in your relationship with God I encourage you to keep a Prayer Answered journal. It may not seem like God is doing much in your life, but I bet if you started keeping track and looking for the answered prayers you’d begin to see God works far beyond what we always see. It’s amazing to see how he answers the asked prayers and the unasked prayers. 

The journal would also be great reminder of God’s goodness when things seem to be going wrong or falling down around us. A reminder that even though the horizon seems dark God still works good.

“And we know that in all things God works
                for the good of those who love him,
          who have been called
            according to his purpose.”
         -Romans 8:28

No comments:

Post a Comment